The New Supervisor: Leadership Training
Professionals transitioning into a supervisory or managerial role for the first time face a whole new set of challenges. Supervisors must take responsibility for the work of others, rather than only the work that they perform. This comprehensive program offers the information and tools new supervisors need to successfully make this transition.
New managers know that the skills that made them a great team player are not the same skills that make you a great supervisor. For any new supervisor, training is key to success in this role.
- It's not enough to follow directions … now you must give directions about what gets done, when, and by whom.
- It's not enough that your projects are accurate and on time … you have to help others keep their projects on track, and see that everyone works together.
- It's not enough to focus only on your department … suddenly you're a member of the management team. Your new peers will expect you to have a broader perspective, including other departments.
You earned your new supervisor position … this training program will help you make the most of it!
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the role of a leader
- Make the transition to leadership
- Effectively communicate with your team, superior, colleagues and others with whom you interact
- Manage your time and priorities
- Understand your legal responsibilities
- Manage performance and take effective corrective action
- Engage effective problem-solving skills
- Lead change
- Select new members for your team
- Review changes in the workforce that you are leading
- Your role as a leader
- Effective communications
- Motivating to improve performance
- Dealing with discipline situations
- Managing your time
- Managing within the law
- Discussion of applicable laws
- Workplace harassment
- Selecting and interviewing
- Managing conflict
- Leading change
September 26 & 27, 2017
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
CSU's Monte Ahuja College of Business, 1860 E. 18th St., Cleveland, OH 44115 (map)
To receive the EARLY BIRD RATE, you must register at least 6 weeks prior to the start date of the course. Corporate, CSU Student, Alumni and Organization membership discounts available!
Competency-Based Professional Development: Our programs increase learner retention through application, which results in a more productive workforce. Students demonstrate their competence by successfully completing a course assessment.
All Inclusive: Each course delivered at CSU includes materials, pre-test and post-test, coffee, snacks, lunch and convenient, on-site parking.
Educated and Experienced Instructors: Our instructors bring years of real-world, classroom and CPA, CFA, SHRM, PhD and MBA experience. Many hold leadership positions in northeast Ohio organizations and have taught at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
Cost-Effective: The course is designed to minimize travel expenses and time away from work.
Convenient: Flexible schedules are not only an attractive option, but a necessary for busy professionals.
Networking Opportunities: Learn from instructors and colleagues who have a variety of industry experiences to share.
Audit option: Students have the option to audit a course they have already attended at no charge within one academic year. Interested students must notify the ProDev office requesting to audit a course a minimum of 10 business days prior to the course start date to ensure there is enough seating. Audit students are responsible for their own parking and lunches. New materials will not be provided.
Corporate, Custom Availability: Can be custom-tailored to the needs of your organization to provide skills your workforce can apply immediately as a corporate training if requested.
No refunds will be issued if notification is not received seven business days prior to the first day of class. Registrants who cancel will receive a refund, less a $50 processing fee, if we receive written notification a minimum of seven business days prior to the first day of class.