Lieutenant Mike Hutson retired February 1, 2015 after serving 33 years with the Shaker Heights Police Department. He saw service time in the uniform, investigative and training bureaus. He holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Akron in Political Science/ Criminal Justice. He is a graduate of the Ohio Law Enforcement Foundation’s, Police Executive Leadership College, (PELC), Northwestern University’s School of Police Staff and Command and Force Science’s certification course. He was a member of the department’s SWAT team for fifteen years and is an Ohio certified law enforcement instructor specializing in defensive driving and firearms.
- Responsible for rewriting and keeping current Department’s Pursuit Policy.
- Developed criteria resulting in implementation of the Corporal rank within the Department.
- Developed in-service training programs entitled “Public Perception of Police” and “Racial Sensitivity” while serving on Department’s Human Relations Committee.
- Actively involved in recruitment drives for new police officers including planning recruiting campaigns, attending job fairs and university recruiting visits.
- Proctored written exams and physical agility testing for police candidates.
- Conducted background investigations and orientation of newly recruited officers.
- Field Training Officer and Certified Law Enforcement Instructor for the State of Ohio.
- Instructed at the SHPD Basic Police Academy and Lakeland Community College’s BPA.
- Conducted in-service training on pursuit/emergency response driving and Immediate Action Rapid Deployment to active shooter incidents for both the SHPD and other local police agencies.