Editing Strategies for Success
In our fast-paced information age, effective editing involves an invaluable set of skills that can mean the difference between useful information and useless information. This course will introduce you to the fundamentals of editing – an art, not a science, that requires keen attention to detail as well as a firm grasp on nuances of language. You’ll learn how to exercise sound editorial judgment in a way that can be applied to a range of assignments, from memoranda to reports. You’ll also have opportunities to hone your skills through a variety of in-class editing exercises. We’ll cover how to improve the accuracy and flow of content by fine-tuning word choices, weeding out redundancies and paying particular attention to:
- Spelling errors that spell-check won’t catch
- Fact-checking fundamentals
- Proofreading essentials
- Stylistic variations
- The “four Cs” that every editor needs to know
Students will apply what they’ve learned to edit a “real world” piece of work (correspondence, excerpt from report, website copy, etc.) of their choice.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and effectively use parts of speech, punctuation and capitalization
- Make better word choices
- Grasp the keys to cohesive sentences, paragraphs and longer pieces
- Implement a journalistic approach to writing
- Proofread more successfully
- What is “Editing Strategies for Success” all about?
EDITING FOR CORRECTNESS
- Essentials of spell-checking and fact-checking
- Parts of speech: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, interjections
- Punctuation: periods, question marks, exclamation points, commas, semicolons, ellipses, dashes, colons, apostrophes
- Quiz No. 1: Class editing exercise
- Editing sentences, editing paragraphs, editing pieces: fine-tuning, from the micro level to the macro level
- A proofreading primer: basics of proofreading
- Common pitfalls: affect vs. effect, fewer vs. less, its vs. it’s, etc.
EDITING FOR CONCISENESS
- Quiz No. 2: Class editing exercise
- A word (or two) about word choice: why good word choices are essential to effective editing
- Beware wordiness: how to reduce redundancies
- Avoid the jargon jinx: eliminate buzzwords for more effective communication
EDITING FOR CONSISTENCY
- The importance of style: keeping communication consistent via a style guide
- Quiz No. 3: Class editing exercise
EDITING FOR COMPLETENESS
- Things you should have learned in journalism school: the “who, what, where, when, why” approach to writing
- Hands-on editing exercises using real-world examples provided by class
April 11 & 13, 2017
Location: CSU's West Center, 26202 Detroit Road, Westlake, Ohio 44145 (map)
SHRM-CP/SCP Credit: 6.5 credits
Corporate, CSU Student, Alumni and Organization membership discounts available!
Competency-Based Professional Development: Our programs increase learner retention through application, which results in a more productive workforce. Students demonstrate their competence by successfully completing a course assessment.
All Inclusive: Each course delivered at CSU includes materials, pre-test and post-test, coffee, snacks, lunch and convenient, on-site parking.
Educated and Experienced Instructors: Our instructors bring years of real-world, classroom and CPA, CFA, SHRM, PhD and MBA experience. Many hold leadership positions in northeast Ohio organizations and have taught at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
Cost-Effective: The course is designed to minimize travel expenses and time away from work.
Convenient: Flexible schedules are not only an attractive option, but a necessary for busy professionals.
Networking Opportunities: Learn from instructors and colleagues who have a variety of industry experiences to share.
Audit option: Students have the option to audit a course they have already attended at no charge within one academic year. Interested students must notify the ProDev office requesting to audit a course a minimum of 10 business days prior to the course start date to ensure there is enough seating. Audit students are responsible for their own parking and lunches. New materials will not be provided.
Corporate, Custom Availability: Can be custom-tailored to the needs of your organization to provide skills your workforce can apply immediately as a corporate training if requested.
No refunds will be issued if notification is not received seven business days prior to the first day of class. Registrants who cancel will receive a refund, less a $50 processing fee, if we receive written notification a minimum of seven business days prior to the first day of class.